Study Abroad




Ciao and welcome to UMASS Amherst's official blog for the Italian Study Abroad program!

The goal of this forum is for UMASS travelers to share their insights, experiences, photos, destinations and sounds with fellow students.

On behalf of the Italian Department, your participation is welcomed. If you would like something posted, even if it is a picture or a travel tip, then please e-mail the information to
umassinitaly@gmail.com


lunedì 13 aprile 2015

Hi, my name is Alexandra....


... I decided to study abroad for a number of reasons. I wanted to be able to speak and understand Italian better but I also wanted to experience the world in a different way. Sometimes we get too caught up in the convenient lives of Americans and we take things for granted. I have not only gotten to know more about Italian culture but I have learned about the cultures of the many people I have met from all over the world.
    I am currently living in Siena, Italy, a small medieval city about an hour south of Florence. I am so in love with Siena and I am so glad that I chose to study abroad here. At first I thought that the city was going to be too small for me but now I cannot imagine myself anywhere else. Being in a small city has its advantages, the barista at your favorite bar knows your order, the checkout lady at the market knows your name and you recognize locals on the street. I love the program that UMass has set up, for three months you take Italian language classes five days a week for 4 hours which seems like a lot but I promise you it doesn’t even feel like school! The teachers and students are so friendly you won’t even miss UMass, in fact, you probably won’t want to go back! Then there is an art history class and a contemporary history class which are scattered here and there throughout the last 3 months. Yesterday my art history class was in Florence, could you ask for a better classroom??? There are so many great opportunities when you study abroad, I for instance go to dinner at a local Sienese family’s house once a week, I help the daughter with her English and they all help me with my Italian, free tutoring and free home cooked meal? Win win!
    The most beautiful thing I have seen was (sorry, Siena!) Cefalù, a city on the Northern coast of Sicily. I have been to some incredible places on this planet but Cefalù takes the cake. I saw the most beautiful countryside, sunsets, beaches, the most vibrantly yellow lemons and I ate the most incredible cannoli. I cannot wait until I go back. I was fortunate enough to have been invited to stay at my flat mate’s house, something I wouldn’t have had the chance to do if I did not live in a residence with other Italians.








I wouldn’t do anything different or choose a different city if I had the chance. I am loving my study abroad experience and it is worth every cent!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento